lundi 21 avril 2008

Barcelona: Day Two

Well, after an exciting day of sight-seeing and being creeped out by weirdoes, we were all excited to go out and see everything else Barcelona had to offer. Kelly was there and I was excited to spend the next two days with her- seeing a friend was exactly what I needed to cure my homesickness.

First stop: Sagrada Familia. Oh, but wait... there's a market all along La Rambla. But we decided to save that for after. The Sagrada Familia is amazing. You have to see it in person to know exactly what I mean- my pictures don't do it justice. I say that for two reasons. 1. I was excited to see the Sagrada Familia, of course, it's what Barcelona is famous for. But I couldn't have imagined the wonder and awe of this masterpiece until I stepped off of the metro and was standing right in front of it. It took my breath away. It was so... incredible. The art and sculpture is so detailed that I think it might be more impressive than the Grand Canyon. 2. Everytime I would take a picture I got frustrated, because what I am seeing on the screen is nothing compared to what I am seeing with my eyes. I highly recommend to anyone who has not seen it, to go if you get a chance. It is amazing!

After the Sagrada Familia, we all went to the tourist shops close by. It was really fun to bargain with the store owners to try and get a lower price. Maureen Vavro would have been proud! I bought a Barcelona purse (it just says Barcelona all over it), and a gift for Grammy and Grandpa and Grandma and Papa. After that we had pizza and went back to La Rambla to explore.

The market booths all up and down La Rambla sold tons of different things. Most sold jewelry or handmade clothing and scarves. *While I'm on the subject, scarves are BIG here- you don't fit in unless you wear one. I was able to find a few that would be 5 Euro for two. If anyone thinks that they would actually wear one, I would love to buy some as souveniors if I can find them as cheap throughout my travels. Please let me know!* I bought myself two scarves and two others that I have in mind as gifts.

After this we all got ready and went out for a night on the town together! We bar-hopped, exploring different avenues and seeing what the city night-life was like. I eventually refused to speak English to the natives, which made communication a little difficult, but it was really fun at the same time. We called it a night around two, and I had a good night's sleep.

To be continued...

1 commentaire:

Dan a dit…

Hey Caitlin,

Loved those pictures! I'm impressed with your photography skills, especially on the Parque Guell shots. I completely understand your frustration with trying to take pictures of Sagrada Familia; it's impossible to do it justice, both its immense size on a large scale and the incredibly minute detail on a small scale. Thanks for bringing back great memories; Carol and I were in Barcelona about 6 or 7 years ago. You got a much better day at Parque Guell; it rained all day for our visit. Sounds like you're having a great time so far. Keep seeking out adventure and trying new things! Hugs, dp