vendredi 11 avril 2008

Second post in one day!

Well, today was the first day I have felt a little homesick. I think it's because so many people left today and I'm so used to hanging out and constantly doing something, I haven't had time to sit around and think about the world I left behind in Athens and Cleveland. I also think it's because I am missing Grandma's speech tomorrow, something I really would have wanted to be a part of.

Well, now that my roommate is gone, I can be honest in that this situation hasn't gotten any better. I think Grammy and Grandma would have a heart attack if they heard how she speaks to her mom and dad. If I talked back to my parents like that, I'm pretty sure my mom would hit me- and I would deserve it, too. I'm trying really hard to make an effort to include her in things, but we just aren't interested in the same things. I completely agree with Aunt Maura, I want to spend my money on traveling, authentic food, and activities the French students invite us to. She would rather spend her money on clothes and accessories- most of which can be found in the States.

I won't complain too much because to be honest, I know I am getting much more out of this experience than she is, and I am certainly not going to let her ruin a moment for me. I never thought I would like this trip as much as I do. I figured seeing pictures of my friends at OU, and missing my family would make me sad sometimes, but (no offense) I really have thrown myself into the swing of things and gotten adjusted pretty fast. Plus, I remind myself of how jealous my friends will be when they see pictures of all the places I have been and will go while I'm here. I'm pretty sure Europe and Athens, Ohio are not on the same level =).

School is a lot of fun here, mostly because I LOVE mingling with the Frenchies. It is so cool to see the differences between France and the United States. For example, our Tweety Bird is known as TiTi in France. But, they do have Tom and Jerry! And I feel so smart when they ask me to explain to them how to do something. One of the guys, Thibeault (Ti-Bo) teaches me a new French word every day. Today I was able to form the sentence, "Ou Ah La Plass Clay-men-so?" (spelled out phonetically). It means where is the Place Clemenceau (where my hotel is). He said this way, if I get lost I know how to ask for directions. I asked them if they knew any English swear words and they started rattling them off like crazy. It made me laugh out loud to hear them said with such a different accent. I've made so many friends here already and it has only been two weeks!

Ashton is one of the girls on the trip, and she studied abroad last year in Pamplona for a language program. I love hanging out with her because she is so funny and puts herself out there. I wish I could room with her... Her roommate has a boyfriend at home, and spends most of her evenings "skyping" with him for hours. (Four and a half yesterday!) Apparently they make this little "click" noise to each other that means I love you in some bizzare language they have created between themselves. I assure you that I spend very little time on the internet or "skyping", and when I do it's mostly spent searching activities like hiking and white water rafting or what beaches we should go to when the weather gets warmer.

Tonight those students who are left in Hotel Le Bourbon (with the exception of lovey dovey girl) all went to a REALLY good restaurant, called Le Garage. It looks kind of like a biker bar, with liscense plates and street signs all over the walls. The food was so good- it was nice to eat chicken that was thoroughly cooked! I got a club sandwich that came with fries. More American than French, but it was cheap and delicious. They had a really good kind of beer there, called Kriek (Creek). It tasted like cherries- no joke. Remember guys, I'm legal here, so I'm going CRAZY! (Just kidding, hehe ;-) ).

Well, it's getting pretty late here and I have to get up really early to go hiking. So I am signing off for now, but I will try to post tomorrow and send out some pictures of the view from the mountains. I love you all!

Aucun commentaire: